Unique Best People Practice:
Google offers employees in-person coaching for growth and development. The “CareerGuru” program takes 43 employees and makes them available for one-on-one career coaching sessions. “Gurus” are deployed in 14 offices across the world; employees across the company can enroll in these highly focused and confidential career conversations with senior Google leaders. Engineering employees at all levels get advice and guidance from “EngAdvisors,” senior engineering leaders who are conversant in such topics as work-life balance, personal and professional development, role and location transfers, communication styles, performance reviews and conflict resolution. More than 900 engineers have benefitted from the program since its start in 2009.
Do you think that an innovative culture can be relied on to guarantee the future success of a business?
Relevant answers might include the following:
• culture refers to the values, attitudes and beliefs of employees
• this type of culture can encourage initiative, risk taking, challenging existing assumptions and approaches, questioning existing thinking
• may fund new projects to help future success
• may attract employees and enrich jobs
• may attract investors
• may influence an organisation.s flexibility
• may be disruptive
• may lead to excessive risk taking
• may be resisted
• may be difficult achieving/sustaining this culture
• may be difficult maintaining this culture throughout an organisation
• an innovative culture may encourage the development of new products and processes .
can reduce costs, can improve quality, can differentiate its offerings
• clearly innovation is particularly important in this industry and the culture needs to
• external factors may influence future success
• other organisations will be attempting to innovate as well.
• culture can change; can you be sure it will continue to be innovative?
• how important is culture relative to, eg its bargaining power?
• can anything guarantee success?